Skip to main content

Spicy Roasted Chickpeas

Spicy roasted chickpeas.
During my 7 week (so far) recovery from my accident, eating has been, at times, tricky.  For the first 4 weeks, I couldn't feed myself, so I was spoon-fed by either my mom or my boyfriend.  It was as much fun as it sounds.  I stuck mostly to small portions, just to get it over with.  I ate toast and soup mostly, with protein shakes for breakfast. At least with a straw, I had some control.

When I got some use of my arms back, I was thrilled to be able to feed myself, no matter how awkward it was.  I stuck to small portions, since I was barely moving.  Eventually, though, bad habits returned. (I blame my mother, who has a sweet tooth worse than mine, but that's another story.)

Now that I am more mobile and planning to get back to work soon, I wanted a healthy snack, so with not much in the cupboards, I decided to try roasting a can of chickpeas. I'm glad I did, because they were amazing!

After taking almost 10 minutes to open the damn can, what with my weak wrist and arm, I rinsed the chickpeas then spread them out on a tea towel to dry them off as much as possible.

Once you start removing the skins, it's hard to stop!
I had read somewhere that they roast better with the skins removed, so I rubbed the chickpeas in the towel to remove as many as possible. Nothing says "I have nowhere to go" like skinning individual chickpeas, but I kept at it; it was weirdly addictive...

Roasting on foil made clean-up easy.
I put the dried chickpeas on a foil-lined baking sheet, and poured on some grapeseed oil.  I find it's better than olive oil at making things crispy.  Then I sprinkled on some cayenne pepper, chipotle chilli powder, smoked paprika, and Maldon salt, all to taste.  I used my hands to make sure everything was evenly coated, then into a 400° oven for 30 minutes, shaking the tray half way through to ensure even cooking. Just before serving, sprinkle on a little more salt if needed.


I am trying desperately to stop eating them, but they are addictive- spicy, crunchy, and good for you.

Update:  They do lose their crunch after a while; I'm going to try reheating them to see if that perks them up...

Spicy Roasted Chickpeas

1 can chickpeas
Spices of your choice- I used cayenne pepper, chipotle chilli powder, and smoked paprika
Maldon salt
Grapeseed (or other) oil.

Rinse and dry chickpeas, and remove the skins if you have nothing to do for a few minutes.  Tumble onto a foil-lined baking sheet, pour on some oil, add whatever spices you like, then toss to coat.

Roast in a preheated 400° oven for 30 minutes, shaking the tray halfway through to ensure even crispiness.

Serve immediately for the most crunch.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now or Never Books

As I mentioned in a previous post , and as it's the season, I am in a purging and organizing mood.  No, I'm not following Marie Kondo's advice as closely as I should be, mostly because it's SO HARD with books, and I have more books than anything else.  I've gone over and over my bookshelves, but I just can't seem to part with any more titles.  The vast majority of my books do spark joy, even if it's just the memory of having read it; I know I'm supposed to get rid of them anyway.  Not sure I can. I have started making piles that I am calling "now or never" books.  One of the bits of advice in The  Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up  is essentially: if you haven't read it yet, you're never going to.  I just can't face that.  In the pile pictured above are some books that I know will be amazing, but for some reason I haven't found the time. I have to read these in the next, let's say, 2 months, or they get donated.  It

Girls Who Wear Glasses

Image- Pinterest I had braces for 3 years.  That may give you some idea of how out of whack my teeth were as an adolescent.  My dad used to say I could eat corn on the cob through a picket fence.  Even with good insurance, he still referred to my braces as "the trip to Hawaii."  I had them removed just a few weeks into high school.  I was perfect, for about a month. Then, one day in math class, my teacher asked me to do the problem written on the blackboard.  "There's something written on the blackboard?" I said, which was both smart-ass and true.  I couldn't see a damn thing on it.  So, off I went for an eye exam, and, sure enough, I needed glasses.  I was  not  pleased.  Hipsters hadn't yet been spawned by the devil, and the only people who wore glasses were nerds and old people.

Princess Pancakes

Greek yogurt pancakes. As someone who spends as much time as possible on Harbour Island, I feel a kinship with others who love it there and return frequently.  Kinship isn't the right word; that implies some sort of equal status, which I am very well aware I don't share with the Harbour Island people I follow on Instagram: India Hicks ,   Annika Von Holdt , Alessandra Branca , Amanda Brooks , and Marie-Chantal of Greece . Aside from the fact that I am pretty much the only one of these women with any measurable body fat, let's not even get into the gulf between our economic statuses.  (Then again, being the poorest person to regularly holiday on HI, and now to have a house on Eleuthera, is not one of the world's saddest tales, I know). Take Marie-Chantal, or MC, as her friends (and someone who prefers to type only 2 letters) call her. One of three daughters of  duty-free magnate Robert Miller, she married into the deposed Greek royal family in the 90s, and is no