Skip to main content

The Classy Drunk, Part I: Chateau du Tailhas

Jean-Luc's ancient vines. Merlot grapes,  Paul Giamatti was wrong!!

In the past 8 years, I have visited Champagne, in France (twice), the Chianti/Brunello region of Italy (three times), Napa Valley in California, and most recently,  we went back to France for Bordeaux.  Do you see a pattern here? It looks like I plan my vacations at the LCBO.




Anyway, Bordeaux was great.  While we were there, we spent a day with a guide called Henri. Mango made this brilliant decision, and it was expensive, but so worth it.  We were a group of 5, and with a guide/driver, no one had to drink Perrier while watching everyone else get elegantly wasted, and we gained admittance to chateaux that we never would have found otherwise.

We started referring to it as Chateau Tight Ass, which proves what a classy group I travel with.

Henri picked us up at 9 AM, and drove us to Saint-Émilion and Pomerol, in the Libournais side of the Bordeaux region.  We had been up late the night before, playing Cards Against Humanity, and guzzling Chateaux Margeaux, so with nothing but a hastily-grabbed chocolate croissant in my stomach, we began our day of epic wine consumption.

Henri's family owns a vineyard in the Loire valley, and he's a sommelier in his own right, so he had plenty of knowledge to impart.  I tried taking notes, initially, but after about 3 tastings, I gave up.  Our first stop with Henri was in Pomerol, at Chateau du Tailhas.

We were greeted in front of the chateau by Jean-Luc, the owner.  He took us out into his vineyard, and talked to us about grapes.  He had some 90 year old vines, interspersed with newer plantings.  Here's the thing about the town of Pomerol- there's no town, just a school and a church, because apparently the soil is too valuable to use for anything other than grape growing. (Side note: we drove back to Pomerol on our last day in the region, to take a look at the church; there were no people around, then suddenly a hobo appeared and asked us for money! "Non, désolé," I told him, and he wandered off, to where I am not sure.)

It was incredible to be so close to the production in a place that has been making wine for centuries, and to see it for what it actually is: a farming operation, at least at the start.  We were there about 2 weeks before the harvest, and Jean-Luc was in minor freak-out mode, hoping Mother Nature wouldn't screw him before he got the grapes off the vines.  He was so adorable, after we got home, I kept checking the web for French weather, and worrying about his grape crops along with him!

After our vine and production lessons, it was a respectable enough time to start popping corks.  We sampled the house Pomerol from 2 different years.  Both were so much better than what I normally drink, but the 2001 was smooth and complex, so I brought home a bottle.  To be honest, I don't know any more about wine than the next person, despite all these "educational" vacations.  I am trying to get better at identifying what makes a wine great, but mostly, I figure it out after the fact: if my glass is empty, I liked it; if I am nursing a wine, it isn't.

Tasting time.
Pétrus is the most famous chateau in Pomerol, but there was no way we were getting in there, and frankly, nothing I could afford anyway.  It was nice to visit a chateau that was family owned and run, and was an actual house.  When I served the wine to the FNGs, they were in heaven, just as I was in Bordeaux.  With our first buzz on, we headed on to Saint- Émilion, and our next winery of the long and wonderful day.

My Pomerol and me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now or Never Books

As I mentioned in a previous post , and as it's the season, I am in a purging and organizing mood.  No, I'm not following Marie Kondo's advice as closely as I should be, mostly because it's SO HARD with books, and I have more books than anything else.  I've gone over and over my bookshelves, but I just can't seem to part with any more titles.  The vast majority of my books do spark joy, even if it's just the memory of having read it; I know I'm supposed to get rid of them anyway.  Not sure I can. I have started making piles that I am calling "now or never" books.  One of the bits of advice in The  Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up  is essentially: if you haven't read it yet, you're never going to.  I just can't face that.  In the pile pictured above are some books that I know will be amazing, but for some reason I haven't found the time. I have to read these in the next, let's say, 2 months, or they get donated.  It

Girls Who Wear Glasses

Image- Pinterest I had braces for 3 years.  That may give you some idea of how out of whack my teeth were as an adolescent.  My dad used to say I could eat corn on the cob through a picket fence.  Even with good insurance, he still referred to my braces as "the trip to Hawaii."  I had them removed just a few weeks into high school.  I was perfect, for about a month. Then, one day in math class, my teacher asked me to do the problem written on the blackboard.  "There's something written on the blackboard?" I said, which was both smart-ass and true.  I couldn't see a damn thing on it.  So, off I went for an eye exam, and, sure enough, I needed glasses.  I was  not  pleased.  Hipsters hadn't yet been spawned by the devil, and the only people who wore glasses were nerds and old people.

Princess Pancakes

Greek yogurt pancakes. As someone who spends as much time as possible on Harbour Island, I feel a kinship with others who love it there and return frequently.  Kinship isn't the right word; that implies some sort of equal status, which I am very well aware I don't share with the Harbour Island people I follow on Instagram: India Hicks ,   Annika Von Holdt , Alessandra Branca , Amanda Brooks , and Marie-Chantal of Greece . Aside from the fact that I am pretty much the only one of these women with any measurable body fat, let's not even get into the gulf between our economic statuses.  (Then again, being the poorest person to regularly holiday on HI, and now to have a house on Eleuthera, is not one of the world's saddest tales, I know). Take Marie-Chantal, or MC, as her friends (and someone who prefers to type only 2 letters) call her. One of three daughters of  duty-free magnate Robert Miller, she married into the deposed Greek royal family in the 90s, and is no