Skip to main content

The Hair of the Rich

A few years ago, when I was between jobs, I needed a haircut.  My hair is thick and straight, and with the right cut, it can be pretty great.  Trouble was, I was quite poor at the time.  A friend suggested I go to the haircutting school of a famous stylist in Toronto. For $25, I could get a pretty good cut, she said, with the Master himself watching over the pupil.  I was nervous- was I going to come out of there with a pixie cut?  A grandma cut?  Or, my worst fear, the Anchor Lady.  You know, these haircuts:

No offense, lady, but...no.
Just, no.
I was broke, and felt that calling my mother to ask for cash to visit an upscale salon when I was unemployed seemed ill advised, so I bit the bullet and made an appointment for the Academy.

When I got there, the Master himself greeted me, and called over a few students.  He asked me what I wanted.  "Something elegant, but that doesn't require styling, and will still look great", I said (I am not much with a blow drier or a flat iron).
"No problem'" he said.  He started cutting, and said he would then pass off to a few students, but he would continue to instruct them.  This made me nervous.  I pictured having 1/4 of a good haircut, and that did not look well in my imagination.

"You have some cowlicks that make it tricky for the hair to hang straight. These require skilled cutting," the Master said.  He called over a few other students to watch how he worked around my apparently deformed head.  He cut, they watched. This kept on going.  Apparently my freakish hair growth patterns were working to my advantage.  Eventually, he was done, and not a single student had touched my head.  "You got quite a bargain today!" he said sweetly.  And I had; a cut with the Master would have set me back at least ten times what I was paying.  And my hair looked amazing.

I met up with the friend who recommended the place that afternoon.  "Ooh, it's the hair of the rich," she said.  And you know what?  It really was the best haircut I ever had.  I could blow-dry it with no styling tools, and it would somehow fall into this beautiful long bob.  It looked like I had flat-ironed it when I hadn't.  The best part is that it looked great the whole time it grew out.  The changes in length changed the style, but it looked effortlessly fantastic for months.

It proved to be great interview hair, too.  Not long after getting this cut, I scored a job that paid more than I was making as a publicist for a small publishing company (then again, Night Supervisor at McDonald's probably paid more than publishing), and I credit the haircut with giving me some extra confidence.

Even with my new job, I refused to pay full price for the Master to touch up my hair, so I went to one of his salons, and assumed a pupil could give me something similar- just follow what's already there, you know?

No.  I got some dude who spent half the appointment using those "thinning" scissors.  What is the point of having thick hair if some little putz is going to thin it out?  Don't people want thick hair?  I see plenty of commercials for "thickening" shampoos, but i don't think there are any that advertise "your hair will look limp and thin."

Anyway, it looked OK when I left the salon, but the next morning was a disaster.  The thin parts gave my hair a shagged look. Seriously, I looked like this:

How I wish I were kidding.
I called the salon and left a message with the manager.  I am afraid to say that I did actually whine the words "I look like Keith Partridge!"  Of course, I never went back.

The hunt for a new stylist took years, but I have found a few I can trust, depending on what look I'm going for. Right now, after the scare I just lived through where I thought I'd be bald for a year, I am letting it grow nice and long.  After that, who knows. I can tell you this, however- it will be a cold day in hell before I get an Anchor Lady cut.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now or Never Books

As I mentioned in a previous post , and as it's the season, I am in a purging and organizing mood.  No, I'm not following Marie Kondo's advice as closely as I should be, mostly because it's SO HARD with books, and I have more books than anything else.  I've gone over and over my bookshelves, but I just can't seem to part with any more titles.  The vast majority of my books do spark joy, even if it's just the memory of having read it; I know I'm supposed to get rid of them anyway.  Not sure I can. I have started making piles that I am calling "now or never" books.  One of the bits of advice in The  Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up  is essentially: if you haven't read it yet, you're never going to.  I just can't face that.  In the pile pictured above are some books that I know will be amazing, but for some reason I haven't found the time. I have to read these in the next, let's say, 2 months, or they get donated.  It

Girls Who Wear Glasses

Image- Pinterest I had braces for 3 years.  That may give you some idea of how out of whack my teeth were as an adolescent.  My dad used to say I could eat corn on the cob through a picket fence.  Even with good insurance, he still referred to my braces as "the trip to Hawaii."  I had them removed just a few weeks into high school.  I was perfect, for about a month. Then, one day in math class, my teacher asked me to do the problem written on the blackboard.  "There's something written on the blackboard?" I said, which was both smart-ass and true.  I couldn't see a damn thing on it.  So, off I went for an eye exam, and, sure enough, I needed glasses.  I was  not  pleased.  Hipsters hadn't yet been spawned by the devil, and the only people who wore glasses were nerds and old people.

Princess Pancakes

Greek yogurt pancakes. As someone who spends as much time as possible on Harbour Island, I feel a kinship with others who love it there and return frequently.  Kinship isn't the right word; that implies some sort of equal status, which I am very well aware I don't share with the Harbour Island people I follow on Instagram: India Hicks ,   Annika Von Holdt , Alessandra Branca , Amanda Brooks , and Marie-Chantal of Greece . Aside from the fact that I am pretty much the only one of these women with any measurable body fat, let's not even get into the gulf between our economic statuses.  (Then again, being the poorest person to regularly holiday on HI, and now to have a house on Eleuthera, is not one of the world's saddest tales, I know). Take Marie-Chantal, or MC, as her friends (and someone who prefers to type only 2 letters) call her. One of three daughters of  duty-free magnate Robert Miller, she married into the deposed Greek royal family in the 90s, and is no