Skip to main content

New York- Where to Stay, Where to Eat, What to Do

I got a few requests last week for some travel tips for New York.  Although I'm no expert, I have been enough times to have some advice, and for once, it was actually solicited!


Where to Stay:

Amazing view of Rockefeller Centre and St. Patrick's from my room at the Palace, 2009.

I'd still recommend the Omni, but my top choice would be the Sofitel.  Both are really clean, and well-situated.  If you can get a deal, I'd take the Sofitel.  The lobby and bar are better, and the rooms just that bit nicer (separate stall shower in the bathroom is always good, and better toiletries).  The New York Palace was incredibly comfortable, and our view from a tower room was phenomenal.  The Algonquin is also a fine choice, and is right near the Sofitel. It's small, but has a great bar, and of course, an unmatched literary heritage.

Near the Algonquin and Sofitel is the Red Flame Diner, on 44th almost at 6th.  It's a perfect place for a filling and cheap breakfast, before you head out on your adventure.  There's a Duane Reade just around the corner, too, if you forgot to pack your deodorant. Then again, there is a Duane Reade around almost every corner. You're also really close to Bryant Park and the Public Library, both great places to spend a bit of time.

There are so many perfectly good hotels, though.  I hate to say it, but give Tripadvisor a look, but don't stop at the top 10, and read comments with a grain of salt.  Some people get pissed off if they aren't treated like royalty, and some people post mean reviews over the littlest thing.  Focus in on what means the most to you- for me, it's bedbug free, near a subway, NOT in Times Square, and quiet (as much as possible) rooms.

Where to eat:



Babbo.  A little blurry, but I was on my 4th wine tasting by this time.

Russ and Daughters, but go early.  I love the menu here. Lox, bagels, and other great Jewish noshes.
Any Mario Batali joint- Babbo can be hard to get into, but less so these days, and it's a great experience to have once in your life.
For a really amazing experience, I would recommend Jean Georges, in the Trump Hotel.  Go for lunch, where you get the same creativity, but at a less exorbitant rate.  Still very expensive, but it's a Michelin starred restaurant, so if you're a foodie, this is the place for you.
Ivan Ramen- a new noodle bar, and really good.
Barbuto- Jonathan Waxman place in the Village, go while you can!  Get the chicken, or at least the JW potatoes, which are amazing.
Il Buco- one of my new favourites, as I documented here.
JG Melon for a burger, if you find yourself on the Upper East Side.  Meaty, not too much bun, and delicious cottage fries on the side.
le Philosophe is just a few doors down from Il Buco, and was recommended by the guys from Richmond Station, one of my favourite places in Toronto, though I haven't eaten here.
Gramercy Tavern- a classic everyone should go to once
Union Square Cafe- same as above- had a spectacular lunch here last year.
The Spotted Pig- I haven't eaten here, but I have heard good things.
Balthazar- my go-to for a good time.  Again, I'd probably stop in for breakfast or lunch, but dinner is loud and fun too.
The Dutch- feels like a locals place, and seriously good food.  Great location.
Charlie Bird- like 5 minutes from The Dutch, a new hot spot.  I liked it.
21 Club for pre-theatre- reasonable menu, historic old New York look. A real experience.
Red Rooster- Marcus Samuelsson's restaurant in Harlem.  Brunch is serious.
Dominique Ansel for baked goods,
Georgetown Cupcake- I have been eating these since 2008, when they were just one tiny storefront in Georgetown, DC.  Seriously good cupcakes, in a fancy vein.
Molly's Cupcakes- these are my new favourites.  You can pick your cake type, icing type, and toppings.  Yummy.
Doughnut Plant- amazing and inventive doughnuts.  Tres leches was my choice, and it was mouth watering.

Doughnut Plant awesomeness.

GOOD GOD, I have eaten at pretty much all those places.  That is sort of terrifying.

What to Do:

Tenement Museum.  Seriously, go here.  It was amazing.  And it's not too far from Russ and Daughters and the Doughnut Plant, so it makes a great Lower East Side morning.  You have to book the tours, but you can show up and see what's available if you don't want to book in advance.  Irish Outsiders was heartwarming, and heartbreaking.  I cried.
Neue Galerie- if you're uptown in the next little while and want to see Klimt's stunning portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer, featured in The Woman in Gold.  Eat some German food while you're there.
the new Whitney- didn't get the chance a few weeks ago, but I will definitely go next time.  It's near the Highline, which is another must do. you need to walk here, or just sit for a bit.  Tons of restaurants and shops just below, including Chelsea Market, where you can get a cheap lunch, sweets at the Doughnuttery, or a piece of that cake I keep going on about at Amy's Bread.
One World Observatory- just opened, so be one of the first people you know to enjoy the spectacular view.


My best advice for anyone visiting New York is to get a Metrocard, take the subway somewhere, then walk as much as you possibly can! New York is all about neighbourhoods, so head way downtown and walk back, or head uptown to Harlem, and walk south. There's something wonderful to be discovered everywhere from The Bronx to the Battery.  Enjoy!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now or Never Books

As I mentioned in a previous post , and as it's the season, I am in a purging and organizing mood.  No, I'm not following Marie Kondo's advice as closely as I should be, mostly because it's SO HARD with books, and I have more books than anything else.  I've gone over and over my bookshelves, but I just can't seem to part with any more titles.  The vast majority of my books do spark joy, even if it's just the memory of having read it; I know I'm supposed to get rid of them anyway.  Not sure I can. I have started making piles that I am calling "now or never" books.  One of the bits of advice in The  Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up  is essentially: if you haven't read it yet, you're never going to.  I just can't face that.  In the pile pictured above are some books that I know will be amazing, but for some reason I haven't found the time. I have to read these in the next, let's say, 2 months, or they get donated.  It

Girls Who Wear Glasses

Image- Pinterest I had braces for 3 years.  That may give you some idea of how out of whack my teeth were as an adolescent.  My dad used to say I could eat corn on the cob through a picket fence.  Even with good insurance, he still referred to my braces as "the trip to Hawaii."  I had them removed just a few weeks into high school.  I was perfect, for about a month. Then, one day in math class, my teacher asked me to do the problem written on the blackboard.  "There's something written on the blackboard?" I said, which was both smart-ass and true.  I couldn't see a damn thing on it.  So, off I went for an eye exam, and, sure enough, I needed glasses.  I was  not  pleased.  Hipsters hadn't yet been spawned by the devil, and the only people who wore glasses were nerds and old people.

Princess Pancakes

Greek yogurt pancakes. As someone who spends as much time as possible on Harbour Island, I feel a kinship with others who love it there and return frequently.  Kinship isn't the right word; that implies some sort of equal status, which I am very well aware I don't share with the Harbour Island people I follow on Instagram: India Hicks ,   Annika Von Holdt , Alessandra Branca , Amanda Brooks , and Marie-Chantal of Greece . Aside from the fact that I am pretty much the only one of these women with any measurable body fat, let's not even get into the gulf between our economic statuses.  (Then again, being the poorest person to regularly holiday on HI, and now to have a house on Eleuthera, is not one of the world's saddest tales, I know). Take Marie-Chantal, or MC, as her friends (and someone who prefers to type only 2 letters) call her. One of three daughters of  duty-free magnate Robert Miller, she married into the deposed Greek royal family in the 90s, and is no