Skip to main content

Bowie For All

When my alarm on my iPhone went off this morning, I reached over to tap "snooze", like I do every weekday.  I saw the screen had a notification from The Guardian.  Another war or plane crash, I assumed.  I struggled to keep one eye open long enough to read "Singer David Bowie has died of cancer aged 69".

Well, wasn't expecting that.

It seems to have hit people really hard, myself included.  For selfish reasons, like losing a favourite singer, or a piece of one's childhood, but there was more to it than that.  Tributes from other musicians emphasize what a fine man he was, as well as an inimitable artist.

David Bowie seemed immortal because he was so damn timeless, and such a shapeshifter.  He was kind of terrifying when I was a kid! To wit, his Saturday Night Live appearance in 1979:

This awesome video of The Man Who Sold the World, where he had to be carried out in his costume, then his other look was this:


That was a little strange to a suburban kid in the late 70s.  Still, my mom bought me the album Scary Monsters in 1980 (she had a wonderful habit of just buying me whatever was popular at the record store; kind of cool, right?) and I started to see the artistry as well as the coolness.

Anyway, by the time I was in high school, I was a big fan.  Everybody was.  He was rocking the slick, Modern Love/Serious Moonlight look by then, but his back catalogue was so varied and cool, he appealed to everybody.

We had fairly epic parties when I was in high school, back before cell phones and home security video.  Parents would leave you a c note and the car keys, and head off on vacation.  Party time!  If you had a blowout, inevitably, kids would start fighting over what music to play.  In the 80s, there was, to name just a few styles: typical pop, a la Duran Duran and Culture Club; new wave music, 60s and 70s stoner music (hello Pink Floyd!), and rock like the Clash and Springsteen.  Different groups of kids liked different music.  Actual fights would break out near the stereo. The one artist who could keep the peace was Bowie.  Everyone liked him.  Preppies, nerds, jocks, geniuses, new wave kids, and dirtbags all felt connected to his music. Put on any Bowie, and the fights would stop, replaced by singing (and drinking; he was a rock star, not Gandhi!)

[A word on the term "dirtbag"- in my high school, that was what the stoners were called.  It wasn't a class distinction by any means, it simply referred to the kids who smoked outside, and were the furthest thing from preppy.  Dirtbag parties were the best, because they were actually more inclusive than the other cliques. The term made me laugh then, and it still strikes me as ridiculous, but that's how it was.]

David Bowie is gone, but he left a new collection just last week.  I haven't listened yet, but I will.  I want to know what he expressed when he knew his time was running out.  An artist and a class act 'til the end. We are all better for having heard his voice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now or Never Books

As I mentioned in a previous post , and as it's the season, I am in a purging and organizing mood.  No, I'm not following Marie Kondo's advice as closely as I should be, mostly because it's SO HARD with books, and I have more books than anything else.  I've gone over and over my bookshelves, but I just can't seem to part with any more titles.  The vast majority of my books do spark joy, even if it's just the memory of having read it; I know I'm supposed to get rid of them anyway.  Not sure I can. I have started making piles that I am calling "now or never" books.  One of the bits of advice in The  Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up  is essentially: if you haven't read it yet, you're never going to.  I just can't face that.  In the pile pictured above are some books that I know will be amazing, but for some reason I haven't found the time. I have to read these in the next, let's say, 2 months, or they get donated.  It

Princess Pancakes

Greek yogurt pancakes. As someone who spends as much time as possible on Harbour Island, I feel a kinship with others who love it there and return frequently.  Kinship isn't the right word; that implies some sort of equal status, which I am very well aware I don't share with the Harbour Island people I follow on Instagram: India Hicks ,   Annika Von Holdt , Alessandra Branca , Amanda Brooks , and Marie-Chantal of Greece . Aside from the fact that I am pretty much the only one of these women with any measurable body fat, let's not even get into the gulf between our economic statuses.  (Then again, being the poorest person to regularly holiday on HI, and now to have a house on Eleuthera, is not one of the world's saddest tales, I know). Take Marie-Chantal, or MC, as her friends (and someone who prefers to type only 2 letters) call her. One of three daughters of  duty-free magnate Robert Miller, she married into the deposed Greek royal family in the 90s, and is no

Girls Who Wear Glasses

Image- Pinterest I had braces for 3 years.  That may give you some idea of how out of whack my teeth were as an adolescent.  My dad used to say I could eat corn on the cob through a picket fence.  Even with good insurance, he still referred to my braces as "the trip to Hawaii."  I had them removed just a few weeks into high school.  I was perfect, for about a month. Then, one day in math class, my teacher asked me to do the problem written on the blackboard.  "There's something written on the blackboard?" I said, which was both smart-ass and true.  I couldn't see a damn thing on it.  So, off I went for an eye exam, and, sure enough, I needed glasses.  I was  not  pleased.  Hipsters hadn't yet been spawned by the devil, and the only people who wore glasses were nerds and old people.