Skip to main content

America and 'Murrica

Never again.

In 2008, as I stood in line at the National Archives (on July 4th!), I overheard a conversation behind me.  A young man from Texas was chatting with an older woman, who said she was from Iowa.  I kept my eyes front, but I rolled them, assuming I was in for a long bout of "Obama is a Muslim who hates America" garbage, but I was surprised.

Talk quickly turned to politics, as we waited for a chance to see the Declaration of Independence. The man rather sheepishly confessed that he was an Obama volunteer; the older woman replied that she had been holding meetings in Iowa on behalf of the Senator from Illinois. They were both doing all they could to ensure that the first black president was elected.

I smiled, then silently chastised myself for making an assumption that just because I was in a very patriotic place on a patriotic day, I'd be surrounded by gun-loving, gay-hating science-denying idiots. Shame on me.

Still, there's a reason that I, and much of the rest of the world, now make assumptions like that. In the past few decades, it's like the US has split into two distinct countries:  America, and 'Murrica. Love the first one; the second, not so much.  America continues to be an inclusive, progressive beacon to the oppressed; 'Murrica thrives on hate, fear, and ignorance.  America welcomes the world; 'Murrica wants to build walls.  You get the idea.

I bring this up because of Orlando.

The utterly heartbreaking and horrific events, perpetrated by a psycho with an AR-15, has rocked everyone I know, and seemingly all Americans.  The purchase and use of an assault rifle by a troubled man, and the singling out of gay people shocked and appalled us.  Then again, the 'Murricans, and their leader, Donald Trump, want to pretend the problem is brown people and everyone who believes one of the three main world religions.  You don't have to dig too deep into the muck to find people who abhor the victims, and declare that the President is a terrorist.  Hell, the GOP candidate pretty much said the latter.

My eyes have been opened to the continued threat that the LGBTQ community faces.  To be honest, I was complacent.  I live in the traditional "gay village" in Toronto.  The Premier of Ontario, Kathleen Wynne, is a lesbian. I have lots of gay and lesbian friends.  They all have good jobs, are pillars of the community, and have supportive families.  In my world, the fight was over.  What a horrible, sobering reminder that this isn't the case, not just in the middle east, but right here in North America.

Last Sunday night, I attended a candlelight vigil in Toronto, where LGBTQ activists were supported by several MPs (like Congressmen, if you're American), our Premier (Governor), and our Mayor (same thing!).  Several faith leaders were in attendance, as well as local Muslim community leaders.
We mourned, remembered, and pledged to keep vigilant against both homophobia and Islamophobia.

The one thing we didn't have to do was plead with our government for sensible gun laws.  We already have them.

From this National Observer article: North of the border, anyone wishing to buy a gun or ammunition must have a valid licence under the Firearms Act, and to obtain a firearms licence, all applicants must undergo a screening process, which includes a safety course, criminal history and background checks, provision of personal references, and a mandatory waiting period. The law further prohibits military-grade assault weapons such as AK-47s and sawn-off rifles or shotguns. Handguns are generally classified as restricted weapons, while rifles and shotguns are usually non-restricted.

In Canada, the AR-15 is classified as restricted, but unlike in Florida — where a license is not required to purchase one — those seeking access to such a weapon in Canada must pass a two-day safety course. They must also have authorization from their province’s Chief Firearms Officer to transport the gun to a shooting range, gun show, gunsmith or a few other permitted locations.

Doesn't that seem reasonable??  I mean, come on!

My heart breaks for all those sensible Americans who wish that politicians had the decency to stand up to the NRA.  My head hurts for the 'Murricans who think Thomas Jefferson and James Madison wanted every unhinged idiot to be able to shoot 45 rounds a second into whoever makes them mad. They didn't.

I must say, though, that I feel a little bit hopeful this time.  Not sure why, but I do.  Maybe it's just numbers.  Maybe, at last, we have hit a death toll that can wake up more Americans to the tragedy of gun violence.  Who knows, maybe even some 'Murricans, too.

James and Dolly could not have predicted assault rifles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Princess Pancakes

Greek yogurt pancakes. As someone who spends as much time as possible on Harbour Island, I feel a kinship with others who love it there and return frequently.  Kinship isn't the right word; that implies some sort of equal status, which I am very well aware I don't share with the Harbour Island people I follow on Instagram: India Hicks ,   Annika Von Holdt , Alessandra Branca , Amanda Brooks , and Marie-Chantal of Greece . Aside from the fact that I am pretty much the only one of these women with any measurable body fat, let's not even get into the gulf between our economic statuses.  (Then again, being the poorest person to regularly holiday on HI, and now to have a house on Eleuthera, is not one of the world's saddest tales, I know). Take Marie-Chantal, or MC, as her friends (and someone who prefers to type only 2 letters) call her. One of three daughters of  duty-free magnate Robert Miller, she married into the deposed Greek royal family in the 90s, and is no

Now or Never Books

As I mentioned in a previous post , and as it's the season, I am in a purging and organizing mood.  No, I'm not following Marie Kondo's advice as closely as I should be, mostly because it's SO HARD with books, and I have more books than anything else.  I've gone over and over my bookshelves, but I just can't seem to part with any more titles.  The vast majority of my books do spark joy, even if it's just the memory of having read it; I know I'm supposed to get rid of them anyway.  Not sure I can. I have started making piles that I am calling "now or never" books.  One of the bits of advice in The  Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up  is essentially: if you haven't read it yet, you're never going to.  I just can't face that.  In the pile pictured above are some books that I know will be amazing, but for some reason I haven't found the time. I have to read these in the next, let's say, 2 months, or they get donated.  It

Dennis Duffy, The Greatest Irish American!

Okay, I know he's fictional, but Dennis Duffy was one of the funniest things on 30 Rock.  Because of this character, my friends and I started greeting each other with "Hey, dummy!" So, thanks for that. The 30 Rock St. Patrick's Day episode from 2012 is absolutely hilarious.  I noticed on the credits that it was written by someone called Colleen McGuinness.  I thought that was a joke too, since the name sounds like it came from one of those kinda offensive Irish Name Generator  sites -  but no, she's real, according to  IMDb . Let us now celebrate some of the finer points of Dennis Duffy: He was the Beeper King of New York (during the iPhone era)... A beeper and acid wash, in 2007. He solved New York's crippling coffee shortage with his machine at 38th and 6th in the basement of the K-Mart... He's a budding feminist... Aw, thanks, honey! He married Megan Duffy (no relation)... It's St. Patrick's Day?? And the quote that ma