Skip to main content

Here We Are

It's been an emotional few days.


Ah, well, here we are.

Donald Trump is the President Elect of the United States of America.  I didn't see this coming, AT ALL.  And, I suppose, shame on me for that.

I guess I do live in a liberal, multicultural, educated bubble, but it wasn't always like that.  As I have said before, my parents were basically Archie Bunker and Gidget (yup, they got divorced when I was young).  My liberalism came as I experienced life, as a form of common sense and empathy.  I mean, how could you feel otherwise, or so I thought.  I had no idea that actual or perceived economic anxiety would allow decent people to vote for a man enthusiastically endorsed by the former imperial grand wizard (or whatever the fuck) of the KKK. Shame on them for that.

Whatever. Here we are.  What now?

Do Democrats have to "fall in line" in a way Republicans NEVER did for President Obama?  I mean, they wouldn't even consider a Supreme Court Justice who was eminently qualified. What happens if a conservative Justice expires near the end of Trump's last term? You can bet your ass Republicans will go nuts if they aren't able to ram a replacement through.

Or, do Democrats have the right to be endlessly obstructionist, as payback?  It's hard to always have to be better people, but they should.  Treat that orange sack of...oops, I mean President Elect with a modicum of respect- at least for the office, if not the man, in a way most Republicans refused to do for President Obama.  Except, they should pick their battles. Maybe just focus on these things:

Supreme Court
War
Healthcare
Environment
Immigration

Republicans can be trusted with, I don't know, renaming items on the House cafeteria menu to spite countries they're mad at.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Princess Pancakes

Greek yogurt pancakes. As someone who spends as much time as possible on Harbour Island, I feel a kinship with others who love it there and return frequently.  Kinship isn't the right word; that implies some sort of equal status, which I am very well aware I don't share with the Harbour Island people I follow on Instagram: India Hicks ,   Annika Von Holdt , Alessandra Branca , Amanda Brooks , and Marie-Chantal of Greece . Aside from the fact that I am pretty much the only one of these women with any measurable body fat, let's not even get into the gulf between our economic statuses.  (Then again, being the poorest person to regularly holiday on HI, and now to have a house on Eleuthera, is not one of the world's saddest tales, I know). Take Marie-Chantal, or MC, as her friends (and someone who prefers to type only 2 letters) call her. One of three daughters of  duty-free magnate Robert Miller, she married into the deposed Greek royal family in the 90s, and is no

Now or Never Books

As I mentioned in a previous post , and as it's the season, I am in a purging and organizing mood.  No, I'm not following Marie Kondo's advice as closely as I should be, mostly because it's SO HARD with books, and I have more books than anything else.  I've gone over and over my bookshelves, but I just can't seem to part with any more titles.  The vast majority of my books do spark joy, even if it's just the memory of having read it; I know I'm supposed to get rid of them anyway.  Not sure I can. I have started making piles that I am calling "now or never" books.  One of the bits of advice in The  Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up  is essentially: if you haven't read it yet, you're never going to.  I just can't face that.  In the pile pictured above are some books that I know will be amazing, but for some reason I haven't found the time. I have to read these in the next, let's say, 2 months, or they get donated.  It

Dennis Duffy, The Greatest Irish American!

Okay, I know he's fictional, but Dennis Duffy was one of the funniest things on 30 Rock.  Because of this character, my friends and I started greeting each other with "Hey, dummy!" So, thanks for that. The 30 Rock St. Patrick's Day episode from 2012 is absolutely hilarious.  I noticed on the credits that it was written by someone called Colleen McGuinness.  I thought that was a joke too, since the name sounds like it came from one of those kinda offensive Irish Name Generator  sites -  but no, she's real, according to  IMDb . Let us now celebrate some of the finer points of Dennis Duffy: He was the Beeper King of New York (during the iPhone era)... A beeper and acid wash, in 2007. He solved New York's crippling coffee shortage with his machine at 38th and 6th in the basement of the K-Mart... He's a budding feminist... Aw, thanks, honey! He married Megan Duffy (no relation)... It's St. Patrick's Day?? And the quote that ma