Skip to main content

Baby Cake


I made a cake.
Normally, this would not be big news, it would indicate it's a day that ends in a Y.

In this case, it's newsworthy (at least to me) because it's the first thing I have baked on my own since my accident. My arms and wrists are still ridiculously weak.  I wasn't able to get a big mixing bowl out of the cupboard, nor could I ratchet up my KitchenAid mixer, so I had to make the whole thing in a cereal bowl.  I halved the recipe, and struggled on with a wooden spoon.  I baked the cake in 2 mini cake pans I picked up at Sur la Table in SoHo a few years ago.

I used a recipe from an old cottage cookbook I've had for decades. I have left the original (and minimal) instructions below.  In old cookbooks, they tend to assume you already know what you're doing in the kitchen.  If you aren't an experienced baker, a few tips: use room temperature butter; mix baking soda and powder in with flour first; don't over-mix. This makes a thick batter that needs to be smoothed out in the pan. I didn't have any chips, so mine was just a vanilla cake, but I remember making this years ago with butterscotch chips and loving it.  Even without, it was delicious. Give it a try, full-size or halve it and make your own baby cake! (recipe below)



Chippy (or not) Cake

1/2 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon (or more, I love ) vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sour cream
2 cups flour
2 cups butterscotch or chocolate chips

  1. Cream butter and sugar.  
  2. Add rest of ingredients in order listed.  
  3. Mix well with a spoon.
  4. Pour into greased bundt, angel cake, or 9" square pan
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
I topped mine with a basic buttercream.  I don't really measure, I just took 1/2 stick of butter, added a splash of milk, some vanilla, and enough icing sugar to get to the consistency I like.  Oh, and some food colouring, obviously.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dennis Duffy, The Greatest Irish American!

Okay, I know he's fictional, but Dennis Duffy was one of the funniest things on 30 Rock.  Because of this character, my friends and I started greeting each other with "Hey, dummy!" So, thanks for that. The 30 Rock St. Patrick's Day episode from 2012 is absolutely hilarious.  I noticed on the credits that it was written by someone called Colleen McGuinness.  I thought that was a joke too, since the name sounds like it came from one of those kinda offensive Irish Name Generator  sites -  but no, she's real, according to  IMDb . Let us now celebrate some of the finer points of Dennis Duffy: He was the Beeper King of New York (during the iPhone era)... A beeper and acid wash, in 2007. He solved New York's crippling coffee shortage with his machine at 38th and 6th in the basement of the K-Mart... He's a budding feminist... Aw, thanks, honey! He married Megan Duffy (no relation)... It's St. Patrick's Day?? And the quote that ma

Princess Pancakes

Greek yogurt pancakes. As someone who spends as much time as possible on Harbour Island, I feel a kinship with others who love it there and return frequently.  Kinship isn't the right word; that implies some sort of equal status, which I am very well aware I don't share with the Harbour Island people I follow on Instagram: India Hicks ,   Annika Von Holdt , Alessandra Branca , Amanda Brooks , and Marie-Chantal of Greece . Aside from the fact that I am pretty much the only one of these women with any measurable body fat, let's not even get into the gulf between our economic statuses.  (Then again, being the poorest person to regularly holiday on HI, and now to have a house on Eleuthera, is not one of the world's saddest tales, I know). Take Marie-Chantal, or MC, as her friends (and someone who prefers to type only 2 letters) call her. One of three daughters of  duty-free magnate Robert Miller, she married into the deposed Greek royal family in the 90s, and is no

Smoke You!

On my walk to work today, two women, in front of different office buildings on Yonge st, nonchalantly flicked their still-lit cigarettes towards the street, and both almost hit me.  If only they knew how disgusting and filthy they were- oh wait, they do, because I told them both :) You may look cool, Bette, but if you throw that thing at me, I'll kick your ass. Supposedly only 21% of Ontarians smoke, but let me tell you, I walk past or behind most of them each weekday.  I'm constantly varying my speed to try to stay out of the clouds of smoke, especially if I've just washed my hair.  Sort of ruins my day to go from smelling like high end shampoo to an ashtray less than an hour out of the shower, you know? I walk behind them, but I also live below them.  The first thing I do each spring, before planting new herbs and flowers, is dig out the cigarette butts my upstairs neighbours have thoughtfully tossed over their balconies and into my plants.  And I haven't gott