Skip to main content

My Irish Tan- Vita Liberata

The night before heading to the Bahamas a few weeks ago,  I spent a nice chunk of the evening doing what I always do before a beach vacation-  slapping on fake tanner. This is why:

That'd be me, on the left.
It is a frankly absurd thing to do, I know.  What in past centuries would have marked me as aristocratic now gets me comments about how I look like I don't go outside.  A guy I used to date said I looked like I was descended from a clan of Scottish cave people.  Nice.  Imagine going back in time and explaining to my ancestors that pale skin is not chic (but you still want to be white; ironic, non?) and we ultra-white ladies dye ourselves light brown (or, if you buy the cheap stuff, orange!) so we can go out in the summer and not offend people with our paleness. At the same time, plenty of Japanese girls buy skin lightener.  No one is content...



Are we sure she's Irish?

In any case, I stopped by Sephora for a can of my favourite fake tanner, St. Tropez Bronzing Mousse.  It's expensive, but once I got over the fear of applying it wrong, I found it does a very nice job. I buy one can a year, in February.  Now, at my age, wandering around Sephora is a form of torture; they're forever changing locations of the merchandise, so you end up walking through a maze of makeup while tarted up girls spritz fragrance at you, and club music blasts.  So fun.  Anyway, I searched the store, and couldn't find it, so I asked an employee.  "Oh, we don't carry that anymore," she said.

Well, of course you don't.

I swear that I have a magical effect on retailers- the second I buy something, it is immediately discontinued.  Pottery Barn was the worst.  I used to buy things there peace meal, because they're so damned expensive, but they'd usually discontinue whatever I was buying before I had the complete set.  Bathroom towels, cutlery, and worst of all, my beloved Old Fashioned glasses. They were rounded, with a silver band, and I loved them.  They were exactly like the glasses Don Draper gets hammered from on Mad Men, but I had them 5 years before.  I briefly had a set of six, but I'm a klutz, and I break a lot of glasses.  Since Pottery Barn stopped selling them, it was like And Then There Were None at my house. Bastards.

God, I loved these glasses.  But I digress...

Aaanyway, now the only tanner that doesn't make me look like a carrot (or worse, John Boehner) has been taken from me.  The sales girl had an alternative, though.

The new stuff was called Vita Liberata.  I'd never heard of it, but she walked me though it.  "How will it work on skin as pale as mine?" I asked her.
"Well, it is made in Ireland, so it is designed for pale skin with blue undertones," she said.  Hmm, now we're talking!  I am the Pale Trifecta of English, Scottish, and Danish (with a tiny bit of Irish thrown in for good measure). I figured I'd give it a try.

Before I applied it, I was the colour of Liquid Paper.  And after?  Well, I was a little less pale. The tan actually looked good on the first day of my vacation.  I was wearing white jeans, and you could actually differentiate my legs from the fabric, so, success! I will say, one great thing is that Vita Liberata truly has no fake tan smell.  Even St. Tropez has a bit of the familiarly intense tanning scent, but this stuff doesn't. That made the whole process slightly less gross.

In the Bahamas, I got a bit of actual sun and tried not to burn, and the tan lasted well enough for the first few days.  Then, I felt I needed a reapplication, despite this stuff supposedly being good for 3 weeks. I got out the application glove and the mousse, and started re-applying my tan, while shielding myself from the actual sun. Supposedly, this stuff would turn me a dark bronze if I left it on too long.  I knew I would look ridiculous if I got too dark, so I did the rinse-off 2 hours after application, as per the instructions.  In the shower, I was alarmed to watch most of the tan go down the drain.  I still had colour, but not as much as I had hoped for.  I guess I should have gone for the bronze!

The first application.  Not bad, I guess.
I still have some left.  I'll bust it out when spring comes, and I switch from boots and tights to sandals and bare legs. This is assuming spring will come, and we haven't entered some fucking ice age, which I wouldn't doubt right now.  In which case, we'll all be bundled in Canada Goose jackets, and I'll continue to be the colour of freshly fallen snow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now or Never Books

As I mentioned in a previous post , and as it's the season, I am in a purging and organizing mood.  No, I'm not following Marie Kondo's advice as closely as I should be, mostly because it's SO HARD with books, and I have more books than anything else.  I've gone over and over my bookshelves, but I just can't seem to part with any more titles.  The vast majority of my books do spark joy, even if it's just the memory of having read it; I know I'm supposed to get rid of them anyway.  Not sure I can. I have started making piles that I am calling "now or never" books.  One of the bits of advice in The  Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up  is essentially: if you haven't read it yet, you're never going to.  I just can't face that.  In the pile pictured above are some books that I know will be amazing, but for some reason I haven't found the time. I have to read these in the next, let's say, 2 months, or they get donated.  It

Girls Who Wear Glasses

Image- Pinterest I had braces for 3 years.  That may give you some idea of how out of whack my teeth were as an adolescent.  My dad used to say I could eat corn on the cob through a picket fence.  Even with good insurance, he still referred to my braces as "the trip to Hawaii."  I had them removed just a few weeks into high school.  I was perfect, for about a month. Then, one day in math class, my teacher asked me to do the problem written on the blackboard.  "There's something written on the blackboard?" I said, which was both smart-ass and true.  I couldn't see a damn thing on it.  So, off I went for an eye exam, and, sure enough, I needed glasses.  I was  not  pleased.  Hipsters hadn't yet been spawned by the devil, and the only people who wore glasses were nerds and old people.

Princess Pancakes

Greek yogurt pancakes. As someone who spends as much time as possible on Harbour Island, I feel a kinship with others who love it there and return frequently.  Kinship isn't the right word; that implies some sort of equal status, which I am very well aware I don't share with the Harbour Island people I follow on Instagram: India Hicks ,   Annika Von Holdt , Alessandra Branca , Amanda Brooks , and Marie-Chantal of Greece . Aside from the fact that I am pretty much the only one of these women with any measurable body fat, let's not even get into the gulf between our economic statuses.  (Then again, being the poorest person to regularly holiday on HI, and now to have a house on Eleuthera, is not one of the world's saddest tales, I know). Take Marie-Chantal, or MC, as her friends (and someone who prefers to type only 2 letters) call her. One of three daughters of  duty-free magnate Robert Miller, she married into the deposed Greek royal family in the 90s, and is no