Skip to main content

Pretend Revenge is Sweet

They say revenge is a dish best served cold.  I'm sure this is true, but I run hot.  I'm sort of a human firecracker- burn hot, over quickly, and usually fun to watch.  Revenge in theory is appealing, but in practice, well, I've never been able to stay mad about something long enough to pull it off.  I can whip together a pretty good revenge fantasy, however.
Also a dish best served cold.  Great, now I'm hungry...



I used to work for a company with a CEO who was flat-out crazy.  Like, possibly a diagnosable sociopath.  He made a lot of people miserable at that place.  A few of us had a fantasy that got us through the tough times:  if we won the lottery, our plan was to buy the billboard opposite his downtown office, and plaster it with a big picture of the 3 of us flipping him the bird. (I know, I know, probably not possible, but stick with me, it's a fantasy.) We figured he'd get fired eventually (correct!), so to make it more satisfying, we planned to have the billboard follow him wherever he went.  For the rest of his career, we dreamed, when he looked out his office window, he'd see 3 former employees giving him the finger.  New York, London, Singapore- anywhere on earth, there we'd be.  This nightmare of a man wouldn't be able to shake us.  After planning it, we'd laugh a bit, then we'd get back to work. It was a silly way to cut the tension, and helped us deal with the stress.

Similarly, I once had a downstairs neighbour who wanted to share his favourite music (or at least the bass line of it) with the world.  He seemed to have no clue that condos weren't soundproof.  He blasted music at a bone-rattling volume that I struggle to imagine was even pleasant for him.  He'd do this so regularly that I had to go down to ask him to give me a break on CHRISTMAS EVE.  It was nearing midnight, the rest of the city was falling asleep or in church (or falling asleep in church) and my dishes were shaking from the club music coming from downstairs. "Dude, what the hell, it's Christmas" I said. He looked completely puzzled.  'But it's a holiday" he whined.  "Not that kind of holiday," I told him.  Jesus, I was pissed.  How do I end up near these people?

I controlled my rage with another lottery fantasy.  In this one, I would subject him to music played at Gitmo-torture levels.  I'd move out, but leave behind the sort of sound system usually found in stadiums, and blast Celine Dion, or German death metal, whatever would drive him nuts, at 5 AM, until the cops came and shut it down. Imagining him being kept awake by a dance remix of the Titanic theme song helped me fall asleep with a smile even though my bedroom walls were vibrating.

I think most of us indulge in a little Karmic payback dreaming every now and then.  Obviously, if I ever find myself with millions of dollars and a lot of time on my hands, the last thing I'm going to do is waste time thinking about people who have wronged me in minor ways. Still, this keeps me amused, which keeps me from confronting people and getting fired or going to jail for tossing my neighbour's speakers (or possibly my neighbour) off a 21st floor balcony. If you feel like you're going to exact revenge on someone, you should probably call a shrink.  Revenge is actually a dish best not served at all.  Like anything with cucumbers in it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now or Never Books

As I mentioned in a previous post , and as it's the season, I am in a purging and organizing mood.  No, I'm not following Marie Kondo's advice as closely as I should be, mostly because it's SO HARD with books, and I have more books than anything else.  I've gone over and over my bookshelves, but I just can't seem to part with any more titles.  The vast majority of my books do spark joy, even if it's just the memory of having read it; I know I'm supposed to get rid of them anyway.  Not sure I can. I have started making piles that I am calling "now or never" books.  One of the bits of advice in The  Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up  is essentially: if you haven't read it yet, you're never going to.  I just can't face that.  In the pile pictured above are some books that I know will be amazing, but for some reason I haven't found the time. I have to read these in the next, let's say, 2 months, or they get donated.  It

Girls Who Wear Glasses

Image- Pinterest I had braces for 3 years.  That may give you some idea of how out of whack my teeth were as an adolescent.  My dad used to say I could eat corn on the cob through a picket fence.  Even with good insurance, he still referred to my braces as "the trip to Hawaii."  I had them removed just a few weeks into high school.  I was perfect, for about a month. Then, one day in math class, my teacher asked me to do the problem written on the blackboard.  "There's something written on the blackboard?" I said, which was both smart-ass and true.  I couldn't see a damn thing on it.  So, off I went for an eye exam, and, sure enough, I needed glasses.  I was  not  pleased.  Hipsters hadn't yet been spawned by the devil, and the only people who wore glasses were nerds and old people.

Princess Pancakes

Greek yogurt pancakes. As someone who spends as much time as possible on Harbour Island, I feel a kinship with others who love it there and return frequently.  Kinship isn't the right word; that implies some sort of equal status, which I am very well aware I don't share with the Harbour Island people I follow on Instagram: India Hicks ,   Annika Von Holdt , Alessandra Branca , Amanda Brooks , and Marie-Chantal of Greece . Aside from the fact that I am pretty much the only one of these women with any measurable body fat, let's not even get into the gulf between our economic statuses.  (Then again, being the poorest person to regularly holiday on HI, and now to have a house on Eleuthera, is not one of the world's saddest tales, I know). Take Marie-Chantal, or MC, as her friends (and someone who prefers to type only 2 letters) call her. One of three daughters of  duty-free magnate Robert Miller, she married into the deposed Greek royal family in the 90s, and is no