Skip to main content

An Audience with Dame Helen

Next Friday night, I am seeing The Audience!

I know, it's not the best-reviewed play, but the chance to see Helen Mirren was too great to pass up. The next night, it will be Carey Mulligan and Bill Nighy in Skylight for me, while C drinks at a classy bar somewhere.  She told me if she hooks up with a billionaire, she'll leave word with the bartender :)  I'm terribly excited for both shows.  As with everything else in New York, there are just too many choices, but I am happy with these.
Didn't get Sir Ian, but got Sir Patrick and Billy Crudup.
I hadn't seen a Broadway show in ages, but last year, with the FNGs, I saw the Sirs Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen in No Man's Land, then in August, Neil Patrick Harris rocked my world in Hedwig and the Angry Inch. (Might have to go back and see Taye Diggs in that role!)



After No Man's Land ended, we were, to be brutally, embarrassingly honest, on our way to the M&M Store, when we noticed a crowd gathering at the stage door.  Ian McKellen came out pretty quickly, so we figured we'd hang out for a bit and see Patrick Stewart.  Well, Mr. Stewart took his sweet time on that freezing February night, but once we'd decide to wait, we stuck it out.  He eventually emerged, signed my playbook, and was extremely nice, as was Billy Crudup.  All I could say to either of them was how much I enjoyed the play, since I didn't understand it at all- Harold Pinter, amirite?? 


P Stew and Me.
That was my first experience standing around waiting to meet an actor.  And, probably my last.  Later that year, we didn't bother hanging around for NPH.  I don't think he needs me to tell him he did a great job.  The hundreds of dollars we paid for the tickets, and the Tony award probably did that well enough.

Naturally, we'll need to get a drink after the show on Friday. I'm considering the Rum House in the Edison Hotel, for sentimental reasons.  The first bar I ever ordered a drink at was in the Edison.  It was a total shithole, but they'd serve booze to a 16 year old, so score! You'll have to trust me on this, but I didn't look anywhere near 21 when I was 16.  The last time I got carded in Manhattan, I was 32, for god's sake! I guess I can prove it with a picture showing one of my 80s perms...

There. Are you happy now?
I don't know if it's the same place, but it will be fun to check it out.  Back then, I had a glass of atrocious white wine with my friend Katie, and a bunch of Italian exchange students, and I felt very sophisticated. This time out, the wine will be better, but whenever I'm in New York, part of me still feels like that teenager (only better dressed and perm-free).  I think that's why I love it so much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now or Never Books

As I mentioned in a previous post , and as it's the season, I am in a purging and organizing mood.  No, I'm not following Marie Kondo's advice as closely as I should be, mostly because it's SO HARD with books, and I have more books than anything else.  I've gone over and over my bookshelves, but I just can't seem to part with any more titles.  The vast majority of my books do spark joy, even if it's just the memory of having read it; I know I'm supposed to get rid of them anyway.  Not sure I can. I have started making piles that I am calling "now or never" books.  One of the bits of advice in The  Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up  is essentially: if you haven't read it yet, you're never going to.  I just can't face that.  In the pile pictured above are some books that I know will be amazing, but for some reason I haven't found the time. I have to read these in the next, let's say, 2 months, or they get donated.  It

Girls Who Wear Glasses

Image- Pinterest I had braces for 3 years.  That may give you some idea of how out of whack my teeth were as an adolescent.  My dad used to say I could eat corn on the cob through a picket fence.  Even with good insurance, he still referred to my braces as "the trip to Hawaii."  I had them removed just a few weeks into high school.  I was perfect, for about a month. Then, one day in math class, my teacher asked me to do the problem written on the blackboard.  "There's something written on the blackboard?" I said, which was both smart-ass and true.  I couldn't see a damn thing on it.  So, off I went for an eye exam, and, sure enough, I needed glasses.  I was  not  pleased.  Hipsters hadn't yet been spawned by the devil, and the only people who wore glasses were nerds and old people.

Princess Pancakes

Greek yogurt pancakes. As someone who spends as much time as possible on Harbour Island, I feel a kinship with others who love it there and return frequently.  Kinship isn't the right word; that implies some sort of equal status, which I am very well aware I don't share with the Harbour Island people I follow on Instagram: India Hicks ,   Annika Von Holdt , Alessandra Branca , Amanda Brooks , and Marie-Chantal of Greece . Aside from the fact that I am pretty much the only one of these women with any measurable body fat, let's not even get into the gulf between our economic statuses.  (Then again, being the poorest person to regularly holiday on HI, and now to have a house on Eleuthera, is not one of the world's saddest tales, I know). Take Marie-Chantal, or MC, as her friends (and someone who prefers to type only 2 letters) call her. One of three daughters of  duty-free magnate Robert Miller, she married into the deposed Greek royal family in the 90s, and is no