Skip to main content

Purging Purses, Step 3- KonMari Can't Help Me Now!


Well, I pulled my bags out of the various closets they were stashed in. All together, I have 24. This doesn't include a few small clutches, laptop bags, and an insane collection of canvas bags, the most precious of which are obviously from the Pigly Wigly in Harbour Island (pic below), and my Vandelay Industries tote.  Honestly, with those in my arsenal, why do I even have all these other bags? I imagine this number repulses some people, yet it's a drop in the bucket for others. For me, it feels like too much, but is there anything I can do about it?



Perhaps this should be my everyday purse.

Or this one!
Let's first pick out the ones that meet Marie Kondo's  only criterion, that they spark joy:

White leather Barney's (despite the pen marks on it, and dye from carrying it against my jeans, I love this bag so much!)
Tan leather Longchamp (makes me feel cute, reminds me of Paris, you can fit a surprising amount in it, including the new iPhone 6+ I just got for work)
Navy pleather Zara bag (light, really roomy, don't care if it gets wet, and goes with all my navy clothes)
Black leather Cole Haan purse (can't explain this one; it's falling apart, I rarely use it, but I just love it)
Vanessa Bruno red suede mini bag (you can cram a ton into it, it adds colour to my mostly neutral wardrobe, and yes, Paris...)

I am well aware that I could get along fine with just those, and if I were a real KonMari convert, I'd get rid of everything else.  But...

I have to adapt her ideas, I'm sorry.  The process is fantastic, as it does at least make you face why you are keeping some of the things you are, even if you can't (yet) take the next step of getting rid of them.  After some real thinking, I had to add a few categories to Sparks Joy:

Intensely Useful
Occasionally Useful
Pure, Unadulterated Guilt
Give Away/Toss

Intensely Useful includes my black and tan leather Calvin Klein tote.  It's amazing for air travel, as there is a large zippered side pocket perfect for a passport and travel documents, and there's no way you can get pick-pocketed or lose them.  It's also big enough for all your technology, toiletries, and another pair of shoes, in a pinch.  I used to love it, I think I am just used to it. Also, an old Coach bucket bag that is great for sightseeing.  Fits all you need, is a comfy cross-body, and the leather doesn't mind rain.  Outside pocket for Metrocard or whatever.

Occasionally Useful is a category for things like my purple Rebecca Minkoff tote.  It's almost a Sparks Joy, except the handle isn't quite long enough for my taste.  I do use it and love the look of it, however.  A few J Crew bags fit here, like a black leather cross-body, and a tan woven bag that I like to use on hot summer days, to pretend I'm in the Bahamas. My Naf Naf straw bag is only useful in the Bahamas, but it stays.

Pure, Unadulterated Guilt would encompass a Furla bag I got in Italy and no longer love; a Marc by Marc Jacobs bag I never did love; and a black Lancaster bag I got in Paris when I couldn't find the Longchamps one I wanted (which I ended up finding at Charles de Gaulle, but had already blown the money on the other bag.  Let that be a lesson to you- only buy things you love!)

Give Away/Toss: I already gave away a Karine Dupont nylon tote, but I will add to that a red Ann Taylor pleather tote, a white Zara bucket bag I thought could replace my awesome Barney's purse, and a salmon Fossil cross-body that is lovely, but now superfluous.

There are other bags in each category, but you get the idea.  I really had to think about each one individually, and not just go by feeling, but by purpose.  That's the one issue I have with the KonMari method- Sparks Joy doesn't work for everything.  My shower curtain doesn't spark joy, but I kind of need it, you know?

Having lots of purses is not a real problem, but going through them turned into an exercise in thinking about excess, and my part in the consumer culture. Ultimately, I think it was a successful exercise, and I would definitely recommend it.  And they'll rip my Vandelay Industries tote from my cold, dead hands...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now or Never Books

As I mentioned in a previous post , and as it's the season, I am in a purging and organizing mood.  No, I'm not following Marie Kondo's advice as closely as I should be, mostly because it's SO HARD with books, and I have more books than anything else.  I've gone over and over my bookshelves, but I just can't seem to part with any more titles.  The vast majority of my books do spark joy, even if it's just the memory of having read it; I know I'm supposed to get rid of them anyway.  Not sure I can. I have started making piles that I am calling "now or never" books.  One of the bits of advice in The  Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up  is essentially: if you haven't read it yet, you're never going to.  I just can't face that.  In the pile pictured above are some books that I know will be amazing, but for some reason I haven't found the time. I have to read these in the next, let's say, 2 months, or they get donated.  It

Girls Who Wear Glasses

Image- Pinterest I had braces for 3 years.  That may give you some idea of how out of whack my teeth were as an adolescent.  My dad used to say I could eat corn on the cob through a picket fence.  Even with good insurance, he still referred to my braces as "the trip to Hawaii."  I had them removed just a few weeks into high school.  I was perfect, for about a month. Then, one day in math class, my teacher asked me to do the problem written on the blackboard.  "There's something written on the blackboard?" I said, which was both smart-ass and true.  I couldn't see a damn thing on it.  So, off I went for an eye exam, and, sure enough, I needed glasses.  I was  not  pleased.  Hipsters hadn't yet been spawned by the devil, and the only people who wore glasses were nerds and old people.

Princess Pancakes

Greek yogurt pancakes. As someone who spends as much time as possible on Harbour Island, I feel a kinship with others who love it there and return frequently.  Kinship isn't the right word; that implies some sort of equal status, which I am very well aware I don't share with the Harbour Island people I follow on Instagram: India Hicks ,   Annika Von Holdt , Alessandra Branca , Amanda Brooks , and Marie-Chantal of Greece . Aside from the fact that I am pretty much the only one of these women with any measurable body fat, let's not even get into the gulf between our economic statuses.  (Then again, being the poorest person to regularly holiday on HI, and now to have a house on Eleuthera, is not one of the world's saddest tales, I know). Take Marie-Chantal, or MC, as her friends (and someone who prefers to type only 2 letters) call her. One of three daughters of  duty-free magnate Robert Miller, she married into the deposed Greek royal family in the 90s, and is no