Skip to main content

My Favorite Year, My Favourite Actor, My Favourite Movie

Peter O'Toole figures in all of the above.

My Favorite Year is a classic New York movie, one of many I saw growing up that made me fall in love with the city. It's set in 1954, and although I can't go back in time, when you look around, you can still see old New York all over the place. The movie is about a young writer on a variety show, and the week he has to babysit a drunken movie star, played to perfection by My Favourite Actor, Peter O'Toole.

The man was simply the best.  He never won an Oscar for his work, despite EIGHT nominations. The year he was nominated for The Lion in Winter, he lost to Cliff Robertson in Charly.  Yes, the man who played The Big Kahuna in the first Gidget movie died with an Oscar, but Peter O'Toole didn't (I'm not counting the honourary one he was finally bestowed in 2003).  If that's not proof that awards for art are largely bogus, I don't know what is.

Cliff Robertson may have been a fine actor and an upstanding individual, I don't know, but seriously, I have as many Oscars as Peter O'Toole and that seems wrong, doesn't it?

As Alan Swann, an Errol Flynn sort of movie star.

He was an actor and a raconteur, often with David Letterman. Below, he will utter the immortal line"I don't fancy being adhered to a camel."



Stick around for Part 2, and the Pork Chop Story:


He told some wild tales.  I'm not sure they were true, but who cares.  He was a hard-living sort of fella, and though I haven't read his autobiographies, I mean to do.  I put off reading them, because I didn't want the anticipation of knowing they're still out there to end, if that makes any sense. Now they're not readily available, but I'll try Bookbook on Bleecker, or the Strand this weekend, and see if I get lucky.

Peter O'Toole had the world's best voice.  No man yelled better than he, when he was at his finest.  I can't imagine the thrill of hearing him command a stage! That's actually the thing that most attracts me to an actor- a great voice.  It's a rarity.  I can think of a few who do now, some not all that famous, though they should be. A great voice will outlast a great face, though Peter O'Toole had both, in his youth.  Hence Noël Coward famously saying "If you'd been any prettier, the film would have been called "Florence of Arabia."

As Henry II, in The Lion in Winter.
The Lion in Winter is, I think, my favourite movie of all time.  I have loved it since I was a kid.  It's historical (sort of), full of wit and sarcasm, and amazing actors gnawing on the scenery. I have forced several groups of friends to watch it, but so far, I haven't found anyone who loves it as much as I do. Honestly, I haven't found anyone who can even stand it, unless they're just pretending to hate it to make me mad, which is a possibility.

I first watched it for Katharine Hepburn, as all young suburban Preppy girls are in love with the Hepburns Kate and Audrey, but ended up in love with O'Toole and Anthony Hopkins.  I also developed a lifelong fascination with Katharine Hepburn's character, Eleanor of Aquitaine.  I've read several books about her, including this one, by Alison Weir.  It's engrossing and really sheds light on life in the middle ages, especially for the ladies.  You think sexism's bad now, be glad you weren't medieval!

Do yourself a favour, and seek out My Favorite Year, The Lion in Winter, or anything else Peter O'Toole made.  You'll thank me, and you might even learn something!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now or Never Books

As I mentioned in a previous post , and as it's the season, I am in a purging and organizing mood.  No, I'm not following Marie Kondo's advice as closely as I should be, mostly because it's SO HARD with books, and I have more books than anything else.  I've gone over and over my bookshelves, but I just can't seem to part with any more titles.  The vast majority of my books do spark joy, even if it's just the memory of having read it; I know I'm supposed to get rid of them anyway.  Not sure I can. I have started making piles that I am calling "now or never" books.  One of the bits of advice in The  Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up  is essentially: if you haven't read it yet, you're never going to.  I just can't face that.  In the pile pictured above are some books that I know will be amazing, but for some reason I haven't found the time. I have to read these in the next, let's say, 2 months, or they get donated.  It

Girls Who Wear Glasses

Image- Pinterest I had braces for 3 years.  That may give you some idea of how out of whack my teeth were as an adolescent.  My dad used to say I could eat corn on the cob through a picket fence.  Even with good insurance, he still referred to my braces as "the trip to Hawaii."  I had them removed just a few weeks into high school.  I was perfect, for about a month. Then, one day in math class, my teacher asked me to do the problem written on the blackboard.  "There's something written on the blackboard?" I said, which was both smart-ass and true.  I couldn't see a damn thing on it.  So, off I went for an eye exam, and, sure enough, I needed glasses.  I was  not  pleased.  Hipsters hadn't yet been spawned by the devil, and the only people who wore glasses were nerds and old people.

Princess Pancakes

Greek yogurt pancakes. As someone who spends as much time as possible on Harbour Island, I feel a kinship with others who love it there and return frequently.  Kinship isn't the right word; that implies some sort of equal status, which I am very well aware I don't share with the Harbour Island people I follow on Instagram: India Hicks ,   Annika Von Holdt , Alessandra Branca , Amanda Brooks , and Marie-Chantal of Greece . Aside from the fact that I am pretty much the only one of these women with any measurable body fat, let's not even get into the gulf between our economic statuses.  (Then again, being the poorest person to regularly holiday on HI, and now to have a house on Eleuthera, is not one of the world's saddest tales, I know). Take Marie-Chantal, or MC, as her friends (and someone who prefers to type only 2 letters) call her. One of three daughters of  duty-free magnate Robert Miller, she married into the deposed Greek royal family in the 90s, and is no