Skip to main content

The Americans: Spies on Fleek

I finally watched season 3 The Americans. Yes, it's time for another of my Too Late to be Useful TV reviews.

I PVRed the first episode in February, (I find it too intense to watch live; I like to sit down on the weekend, when I'm not obsessing about work, and hang with the World's Most Fetching Russian Spies).  I saved up a few episodes, but something happened along the way- my PVR got too full, or I forgot to set record, but I missed an episode.  Well, that was that.  No way I was going to watch any of them until I knew I could see all of them.


Last Saturday, FX played the whole season, and I watched it in a very productive 48 hours.  Not my most egregious waste of a weekend -18 Breaking Bads would be the winner.  It's so lovely out all of a sudden, I stopped intermittently to plant some boxwoods and herbs on my balcony, but I still managed to watch them all.



And all I can say is: wow.  Also, gross!  This show has never shied away from the brutality these characters face, but this season featured some groundbreaking grossness.  Without offering spoilers, let's just say I was occasionally very happy to have the mute button and the fast forward feature at my command.

Again, I don't do recaps, but you can find pretty good ones on Vulture here .  Not nearly as profound and poetic as Matt Zoller Seitz's Mad Men recaps , but still useful and interesting.

I'm just here to tell you to watch the show.  All of it, and in order.  You can't miss an episode.
I'm also here to wonder why this show gets so little attention during awards season.  It can't be the subject matter.  Once we all fell in love with Tony Soprano and Walter White, all bets were off.  If a mob boss and a meth kingpin can be antiheroes we root for, so can Russian spies.

Keri Russell is a revelation, and has been from the first season.  Felicity and Buttercup sure have grown up! Seriously though, Keri Russell here, and Robin Wright on House of Cards are proof of what female actors and characters can be when someone takes the time to write something with depth and complexity.

Matthew Rhys,  while very attractive (and I am provincial enough to find him speaking in his Welsh accent utterly adorable), can get a particularly murderous look in his eyes, I'm tellin' ya.  He's fantastic, as are Frank Langella, Annet Mahendru, Noah Emmerich, and pretty much everyone else on the show.

Watch The Americans.  And if you are an Emmy voter (and I'm sure if you're reading this blog, you are), give the show and its stars some love!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now or Never Books

As I mentioned in a previous post , and as it's the season, I am in a purging and organizing mood.  No, I'm not following Marie Kondo's advice as closely as I should be, mostly because it's SO HARD with books, and I have more books than anything else.  I've gone over and over my bookshelves, but I just can't seem to part with any more titles.  The vast majority of my books do spark joy, even if it's just the memory of having read it; I know I'm supposed to get rid of them anyway.  Not sure I can. I have started making piles that I am calling "now or never" books.  One of the bits of advice in The  Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up  is essentially: if you haven't read it yet, you're never going to.  I just can't face that.  In the pile pictured above are some books that I know will be amazing, but for some reason I haven't found the time. I have to read these in the next, let's say, 2 months, or they get donated.  It

Girls Who Wear Glasses

Image- Pinterest I had braces for 3 years.  That may give you some idea of how out of whack my teeth were as an adolescent.  My dad used to say I could eat corn on the cob through a picket fence.  Even with good insurance, he still referred to my braces as "the trip to Hawaii."  I had them removed just a few weeks into high school.  I was perfect, for about a month. Then, one day in math class, my teacher asked me to do the problem written on the blackboard.  "There's something written on the blackboard?" I said, which was both smart-ass and true.  I couldn't see a damn thing on it.  So, off I went for an eye exam, and, sure enough, I needed glasses.  I was  not  pleased.  Hipsters hadn't yet been spawned by the devil, and the only people who wore glasses were nerds and old people.

Princess Pancakes

Greek yogurt pancakes. As someone who spends as much time as possible on Harbour Island, I feel a kinship with others who love it there and return frequently.  Kinship isn't the right word; that implies some sort of equal status, which I am very well aware I don't share with the Harbour Island people I follow on Instagram: India Hicks ,   Annika Von Holdt , Alessandra Branca , Amanda Brooks , and Marie-Chantal of Greece . Aside from the fact that I am pretty much the only one of these women with any measurable body fat, let's not even get into the gulf between our economic statuses.  (Then again, being the poorest person to regularly holiday on HI, and now to have a house on Eleuthera, is not one of the world's saddest tales, I know). Take Marie-Chantal, or MC, as her friends (and someone who prefers to type only 2 letters) call her. One of three daughters of  duty-free magnate Robert Miller, she married into the deposed Greek royal family in the 90s, and is no