Skip to main content

Miami's Nice

Last weekend, I spent a busy 60 hours in Miami. My expectations were not high, but I had an open mind; anywhere with palm trees is instantly impressive to a Canadian.  Turns out, I really liked it!


We were there on a mission, but we carved out time to drive to South Beach Sunday morning, and go for a few walks; the only other thing we did was eat.  I am, after all, me.


We stayed at a place called Sonesta Coconut Grove, to be out of the main tourist area.  The lobby is extremely boutique hotel chic; my room was, well, meh.  Small, with no refrigerator or terrace, though it looked like most other rooms had them.  The furniture was hotel standard, and a bit beat up, but I am really not complaining, since the bed was comfortable and the pillows were great!  It's so rare for a side/stomach sleeper like me to find suitable pillows in hotels.  So often, all you get are the big fat ones where I wake up feeling like I have a broken neck.  Despite the lack of terrace, the view was lovely. 

Key Biscayne in the distance.
The hotel has a pool on the restaurant deck.  I didn't have time to use it, but it looked inviting. I did have some time to lounge on the deck in the evenings, with a glass of wine, before going to dinner.  It was insanely humid, but watching the lightning in the distance was entrancing.


The hotel restaurant, Panorama, served up a surprisingly good meal.  I had a fish called corvina, which, to be honest, I had never heard of.  I had to ask what the dish was, when I saw it on the menu- for all I knew, corvina was a shape of pasta!  Turns out, it is a firm-fleshed white fish, and it was absolutely delicious.  It came on a rice and bean pancake, with a red onion salsa and a cilantro sauce. (I don't usually like cilantro, but it was subtle in this form, and quite nice.)

Our other dinner, at Jaguar in Coconut Grove, was amazing.  I had (a few) tangy mojitos, a wonderful crabcake and corn appetizer, and my entrée, a Peruvian dish called Lomo Saltado- beef tenderloin, potatoes, onions, and a quail egg, on rice- was a pleasant surprise.  I wasn't nearly able to finish it, but it was absolutely delicious.  I am going to hunt for a recipe and try this one at home.  

Lomo Saltado
There was a Starbucks about one minute away (God, I am such a white girl) at Cocowalk, a little mall nearby, which also contained the GAP and Cheesecake Factory that I think are required by zoning laws to be on every 3rd block in the USA.  Around the corner was a cute street with local shops, and more restaurants.  

On the drive back to the airport on Monday, we stopped for dinner at the Grill at Bal Harbour. We started with the Heavenly Biscuits, which are aptly named.  Straight from the oven, and served with butter and honey.  Mmmmm.  Next, I had the Shrimp Louie, which was a perfect iceberg wedge and huge shrimp in a tart, slightly bacony dressing.  I adored it.  Despite being stuffed, we split a slice of Key Lime Pie. There's just no way I could spend any time in Florida and not have some.  This one was perfect, and tasted home made.  The whole meal was to die for, really.

Heavenly Biscuits.  Indeed.

Shrimp Louie.  I could eat this every day.
As I have pretty much aged out of the South Beach demographic, Bal Harbour Shops was my new retail happy place.  Or it least it will be if I ever win a lottery.  The high end store collection was like Rodeo Drive or Madison Avenue, but without an Ann Taylor and J Crew for us poor people.  In the end, I didn't get a chance to buy any clothes.  This is a first!  The only thing I bought was a bottle of perfume at the Santa Maria Novella store in Bal Harbour.  I didn't know they had outposts in the US; I've only ever been to the Florence flagship mentioned in the previous post.


It was such a treat to find them, that I splurged on a bottle of Angeli di Firenze.  It was tough to choose between this one, and the original scent made for Catherine de' Medici, but this one was a bit more delicate, and I figure I probably shouldn't smell like a ruthless, murderous monarch at work.

Ocean Drive.
The worst things about a trip to Miami:  being in a state with a horrible governor (and a horrible ex-governor who will never be president!) and having this stuck in my head for the past few days (what can I say, I'm old; well, not THIS old!)



Comments

  1. "Smell like a ruthless, murderous monarch at work." Heh heh! Sounds like a winning tagline!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Now or Never Books

As I mentioned in a previous post , and as it's the season, I am in a purging and organizing mood.  No, I'm not following Marie Kondo's advice as closely as I should be, mostly because it's SO HARD with books, and I have more books than anything else.  I've gone over and over my bookshelves, but I just can't seem to part with any more titles.  The vast majority of my books do spark joy, even if it's just the memory of having read it; I know I'm supposed to get rid of them anyway.  Not sure I can. I have started making piles that I am calling "now or never" books.  One of the bits of advice in The  Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up  is essentially: if you haven't read it yet, you're never going to.  I just can't face that.  In the pile pictured above are some books that I know will be amazing, but for some reason I haven't found the time. I have to read these in the next, let's say, 2 months, or they get donated.  It

Girls Who Wear Glasses

Image- Pinterest I had braces for 3 years.  That may give you some idea of how out of whack my teeth were as an adolescent.  My dad used to say I could eat corn on the cob through a picket fence.  Even with good insurance, he still referred to my braces as "the trip to Hawaii."  I had them removed just a few weeks into high school.  I was perfect, for about a month. Then, one day in math class, my teacher asked me to do the problem written on the blackboard.  "There's something written on the blackboard?" I said, which was both smart-ass and true.  I couldn't see a damn thing on it.  So, off I went for an eye exam, and, sure enough, I needed glasses.  I was  not  pleased.  Hipsters hadn't yet been spawned by the devil, and the only people who wore glasses were nerds and old people.

Princess Pancakes

Greek yogurt pancakes. As someone who spends as much time as possible on Harbour Island, I feel a kinship with others who love it there and return frequently.  Kinship isn't the right word; that implies some sort of equal status, which I am very well aware I don't share with the Harbour Island people I follow on Instagram: India Hicks ,   Annika Von Holdt , Alessandra Branca , Amanda Brooks , and Marie-Chantal of Greece . Aside from the fact that I am pretty much the only one of these women with any measurable body fat, let's not even get into the gulf between our economic statuses.  (Then again, being the poorest person to regularly holiday on HI, and now to have a house on Eleuthera, is not one of the world's saddest tales, I know). Take Marie-Chantal, or MC, as her friends (and someone who prefers to type only 2 letters) call her. One of three daughters of  duty-free magnate Robert Miller, she married into the deposed Greek royal family in the 90s, and is no