Skip to main content

Pasta and Pasquale

Once, years ago, I had an intense craving for Spaghetti Caruso.  I saw it in a cookbook, and for some reason, I thought it would be amazing.  In case you aren't familiar with the dish, it's spaghetti with chicken livers (and brandy, at least the recipe we had- I can't seem to find one online that includes it.)

The cookbook I saw it in was written by a man you've probably never heard of, unless you're from southern Ontario and over 30- Pasquale Carpino.  He was this singing Italian chef with a TV show in Toronto in the late 70s through to the 90s, but the early years on cable access were the best, because you'd tune in and think what the hell?

He had a thick accent, a giant chef hat, and he spent the entire show drinking wine and breaking into song.  Yes, the Italian chef sang opera to the food.  It was, well, odd.  He was the first Pasquale I had ever heard of, too. I'm from a place that The Kids in the Hall know well- a world full of Daves.


Pasquale was parodied on the original SCTV- Tony Rosato did a hilarious version where the chef, called Marcello, was drunk, sang opera, and occasionally battled lobsters.  Sadly, I can't find a clip. However, here is the real Pasquale!



As a suburban Canadian of UK descent, Pasquale was my first exposure to "real" Italian food, as opposed to the delicious, but I'm guessing inauthentic, meals we had at our favourite Italian restaurant, Mother's Pizza.

Anyway, my aunt got me Pasquale's cookbook for Christmas, and as a budding gourmand, the recipes intrigued me.  From it, I learned basics like stuffed manicotti, and pesto sauce.  Then, I came across Spaghetti Caruso.  I have no idea why this recipe stood out- honestly, how good could a plate of noodles with chicken livers on it have looked?!  I decided I had to make it for dinner, so I went out and got the ingredients we didn't have (I am happy to say we didn't generally have chicken livers lying around), and asked my mom to get a small bottle of the required booze.  I followed the directions carefully, and made something that I thought approximated the photo in the cookbook.  I was so excited, filled with anticipation of eating this great dish...

Oh my god, it was GROSS!

I haven't had it since.  I have been lucky enough to gorge on real Italian food in Capri, Naples, and Rome, and all across Umbria, Tuscany, and Liguria.  In all that eating, I honestly don't recall if I have ever seen Spaghetti Caruso on a menu.  If I ever do, maybe I'll give it another shot.  Hell, if my mom can find the cookbook, maybe I'll try to make it again, and see what happens. The moral of the story is, maybe you shouldn't always give in to your cravings...

Which leads to this past weekend.

I didn't like mushrooms until I was almost 20.  They mostly appeared canned in my house, or as dried out flakes on a pizza, which I would of course pick off. Once I had them cooked properly, though, I was on board.

For some reason, at the end of the work day on Friday, the craving hit- mushrooms sautéed in oil and butter, with garlic and thyme. Which, to my mind, belong either on some crunchy grilled Tuscan bread, or some fresh egg tagliatelle.  I went with the latter.

I love a pasta sauce that really isn't; just cook up something you like, in some good quality olive oil, and dump it on the right shaped noodle, and you're golden. It was so good, I ate it all weekend. Hence, the smoothies and soup I will be stuck eating the rest of the week. Yes, I gave in to a craving, but in this case, it was worth it. Pasquale would be proud.  Method below.


Tagliatelle with Mushrooms and Thyme

Fresh egg tagliatelle
2 T. olive oil
1 T. butter (more at the end of cooking)
2 (at least) cloves garlic
1 large banana shallot
5-6 cups chopped white mushrooms (add a few reconstituted dried porcini, if you have them.)
Thyme
Oregano
Basil
Parsley
As much parmesan as you like (and I like a lot!)

Heat olive oil in a large frying pan, then add a knob of butter.  Sauté chopped banana shallot and chopped garlic for a minute or two.  Then, add the mushrooms (they will wilt down considerably); stir and cook for a few minutes.  When they are partially reduced, add some chopped herbs, and red pepper flakes, if you like. You can cook them until they are done the way you like; more reducing will intensify the flavour, but you might need to add more oil or a touch of broth to make the sauce thinner.

Meanwhile, cook up some egg tagliatelle, and when it's just done, dump it into the sauce.  Add a bit more butter, stir everything together, and when serving, add copious amounts of real grated parmesan, and some more chopped herbs.  Be prepared to diet the following week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now or Never Books

As I mentioned in a previous post , and as it's the season, I am in a purging and organizing mood.  No, I'm not following Marie Kondo's advice as closely as I should be, mostly because it's SO HARD with books, and I have more books than anything else.  I've gone over and over my bookshelves, but I just can't seem to part with any more titles.  The vast majority of my books do spark joy, even if it's just the memory of having read it; I know I'm supposed to get rid of them anyway.  Not sure I can. I have started making piles that I am calling "now or never" books.  One of the bits of advice in The  Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up  is essentially: if you haven't read it yet, you're never going to.  I just can't face that.  In the pile pictured above are some books that I know will be amazing, but for some reason I haven't found the time. I have to read these in the next, let's say, 2 months, or they get donated.  It

Girls Who Wear Glasses

Image- Pinterest I had braces for 3 years.  That may give you some idea of how out of whack my teeth were as an adolescent.  My dad used to say I could eat corn on the cob through a picket fence.  Even with good insurance, he still referred to my braces as "the trip to Hawaii."  I had them removed just a few weeks into high school.  I was perfect, for about a month. Then, one day in math class, my teacher asked me to do the problem written on the blackboard.  "There's something written on the blackboard?" I said, which was both smart-ass and true.  I couldn't see a damn thing on it.  So, off I went for an eye exam, and, sure enough, I needed glasses.  I was  not  pleased.  Hipsters hadn't yet been spawned by the devil, and the only people who wore glasses were nerds and old people.

Princess Pancakes

Greek yogurt pancakes. As someone who spends as much time as possible on Harbour Island, I feel a kinship with others who love it there and return frequently.  Kinship isn't the right word; that implies some sort of equal status, which I am very well aware I don't share with the Harbour Island people I follow on Instagram: India Hicks ,   Annika Von Holdt , Alessandra Branca , Amanda Brooks , and Marie-Chantal of Greece . Aside from the fact that I am pretty much the only one of these women with any measurable body fat, let's not even get into the gulf between our economic statuses.  (Then again, being the poorest person to regularly holiday on HI, and now to have a house on Eleuthera, is not one of the world's saddest tales, I know). Take Marie-Chantal, or MC, as her friends (and someone who prefers to type only 2 letters) call her. One of three daughters of  duty-free magnate Robert Miller, she married into the deposed Greek royal family in the 90s, and is no