Skip to main content

The Cove, Eleuthera- Looking for Lenny

My favourite thing about The Cove, Eleuthera used to be that Lenny Kravitz supposedly lives nearby.  I first had dinner there in 2010, and the place was, to put it mildly, dated.  The food was good, the views were lovely, but the restaurant had that Golden Girls vibe that used to permeate southern interior design.  It was a bit run down, too.  No one had shown it any love for years.

When it closed for renovations, I had high hopes, but wondered what sort of commitment the new owners would make to the island.  Big developments had a way of falling through in the Bahamas. See Baha Mar as the most recent example.  So, when the Cove reopened, I was excited to see what an amazing job the new owner did. Still, I worry, because the man who did the renovations has already sold it.  I can only hope the quality is maintained by the new owners.  The island deserves it.

The whole complex was completely transformed.  You notice this right away, as there is a gated entrance, and a security guard with a clip board of names, who makes sure you're supposed to be there. He was welcoming, once the gate opened.  I don't generally care for "exclusivity";  I think it's a lazy way to make an average place seem special. I guess it makes sense in a place as remote as this, so I am willing to put up with it.  At least it was a tasteful gate.

The Cove, Eleuthera
The bungalows are secluded, and there's a beautifully-maintained private beach on the Caribbean side of the island.  The whole area is pristine.

Looking back towards the outdoor bar and the restaurant in the distance.
The landscaping is impeccable.  It was frankly cold the night we were there in February, with a breeze coming from the Atlantic side making it even colder.  Still, we couldn't resist getting a drink out at the bar near the water's edge.  The sunset was incredible.

Stunning.
After our drink, we moved inside to have dinner in the renovated restaurant.  It had a distinct Japanese vibe, and was quite formal, expensive, and delicious.  Worth every penny.

Tuna sashimi melted in my mouth.
Classy surf n turf.
The red velvet cake was divine.
 I'm happy that Eleuthera is getting a few upscale joints.  Don't get me wrong, I am just as happy that Elvina's is reopened (at least they were giving it a shot in February, not sure about now.  I hope the new manager is able to make a go of it; we had a nice talk when we visited, and he and his wife seemed committed to bringing the business back.) after Elvina died in 2011.

On the grounds of The Cove, after dinner.
I hope Lee's Café and Kel-D's in James Cistern never change.  I am certainly not calling for the wholesale gentrification of Eleuthera, but The Cove and French Leave offer some alternatives for when I want to put on a nice dress, pay top dollar for a cocktail, and look for Lenny (or, better yet, Robert Plant, but that's another story!).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Now or Never Books

As I mentioned in a previous post , and as it's the season, I am in a purging and organizing mood.  No, I'm not following Marie Kondo's advice as closely as I should be, mostly because it's SO HARD with books, and I have more books than anything else.  I've gone over and over my bookshelves, but I just can't seem to part with any more titles.  The vast majority of my books do spark joy, even if it's just the memory of having read it; I know I'm supposed to get rid of them anyway.  Not sure I can. I have started making piles that I am calling "now or never" books.  One of the bits of advice in The  Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up  is essentially: if you haven't read it yet, you're never going to.  I just can't face that.  In the pile pictured above are some books that I know will be amazing, but for some reason I haven't found the time. I have to read these in the next, let's say, 2 months, or they get donated.  It

Girls Who Wear Glasses

Image- Pinterest I had braces for 3 years.  That may give you some idea of how out of whack my teeth were as an adolescent.  My dad used to say I could eat corn on the cob through a picket fence.  Even with good insurance, he still referred to my braces as "the trip to Hawaii."  I had them removed just a few weeks into high school.  I was perfect, for about a month. Then, one day in math class, my teacher asked me to do the problem written on the blackboard.  "There's something written on the blackboard?" I said, which was both smart-ass and true.  I couldn't see a damn thing on it.  So, off I went for an eye exam, and, sure enough, I needed glasses.  I was  not  pleased.  Hipsters hadn't yet been spawned by the devil, and the only people who wore glasses were nerds and old people.

Princess Pancakes

Greek yogurt pancakes. As someone who spends as much time as possible on Harbour Island, I feel a kinship with others who love it there and return frequently.  Kinship isn't the right word; that implies some sort of equal status, which I am very well aware I don't share with the Harbour Island people I follow on Instagram: India Hicks ,   Annika Von Holdt , Alessandra Branca , Amanda Brooks , and Marie-Chantal of Greece . Aside from the fact that I am pretty much the only one of these women with any measurable body fat, let's not even get into the gulf between our economic statuses.  (Then again, being the poorest person to regularly holiday on HI, and now to have a house on Eleuthera, is not one of the world's saddest tales, I know). Take Marie-Chantal, or MC, as her friends (and someone who prefers to type only 2 letters) call her. One of three daughters of  duty-free magnate Robert Miller, she married into the deposed Greek royal family in the 90s, and is no